Sunday, March 29, 2009

Thing 5

Ahh the wonderful world of on-line living! The Web 2.0 videos indicate where our futures in technology is taking us. As I have said, I am a novice user of the internet, no where near a techie. When I was in high school we used typewriters, and had just started writing flowcharts!!! My world was still pen and paper to scribe thoughts, homework, etc. As our kids are growing up in this modern techonological world, I feel like I am from the dark ages. I have had to teach myself to use the computer and my students seem to come out of the womb knowing how to navigate and communicate through them. I just recently decided to learn Facebook, whew that is time consuming. Why can't I just pick up the phone and call one or all of the people that are connecting!!! You tell everything on Facebook and then see someone face to face and what else can you say to them that you haven't said online.

I realize this is the way of the future or should I say the way of the NOW...I am jumping on this train and trying to learn what I can to be able to communicate to my students. When this class started a friend of mine had told me about www.weebly.com She uses it for her science classes to post homework, notes, ideas, thoughts, etc. I had started my own weebly site, then started this class and my how time-consuming it is. Her students and parents have access to view, read, print, and copy if needed any of the current days works or to see things from days gone be. Web 2.0 has quite abit broader scope than your own website; there's room for connecting, receiving, reading, reflecting and research.

The videos help to put my thoughts about blogging, reaching out, sharing, etc into perspective and understanding that this is the way to connect, communicate and create.

5 comments:

  1. I had considered using Weebly as a thing for the 23 MORE things class I'm planning. It creates some great looking site layouts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My weebly site it www.spurlinssciencespot.weebly.com It is still in the set up phase. It is really easy to use

    ReplyDelete
  3. About 5 years ago when I was finishing my master's degree in Educational Technology, I thought I knew it all. Now, I feel like you. I don't think I'm very "techie" anymore. My students are leaps and bonds beyond me when it comes to the new stuff. I think that the younger generation of teachers will be more adapt at teaching students in the 21st century. I guess that we will all be looking to them to be the "master teachers" instead of looking to our older mentors for help in our classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried posting earlier but I'm not sure if it went through, so here goes again. Sorry, if it's a repeat.
    About 5 years ago when I was finsihing my master's degree in Educational Technology, I thought I knew it all. Now I look around and see that I'm completely out of the loop. I don't feel very "techie" either. I just started a facebook page too only because all my friends in Louisiana kept pressuring me to do it. I don't check it very often because I'm like you. I'd rather pick up the phone and talk. I can see, however, the benefits of the instant feedback when using technology in the classroom for my students. I tried a different type of review for a recent test and was very pleased with the results. The students were doing a review online and getting instant feedback. They loved it and their test scores were good for once.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing!!! I am on facebook now too. Still learning how to use it. I am learning that some people are soo addicted to the computer that htis may be the only way to communicate - LOL. I guess it is sink or swim with techno advances! Have fun...

    ReplyDelete